Thursday, May 22, 2008

Glass!!





One of my all-time favorite things in the world is glass. I *love* glass. It can be in shards, blown into a beautiful vessel, or hanging from a Christmas tree; it matters not. And finally, after this decades-long love affair, I was able to take a glass-blowing class. I suppose it technically was not glass "blowing" because we didn't actually blow into the glass. A better name would be glass-shaping, or glass-molding. It was the most fun I've had in a long, long time. Seeing how glass changes from a liquid to a solid in a matter of minutes was absolutely fascinating, as was watching the colors slowly melt into the glass. I've posted a few pieces above; if you can't tell, they are all flowers. I felt that I did fairly well for my first time (the blue one is the only one I really and truly screwed up on; in full, it looks like the appendage of some alien life form), and I will definitely be taking more glass classes in the future.

2 comments:

Heather Klusendorf Stewart said...

How neat. I'm sure there are some folks who wonder if they can smoke out of these. :)

Crazy good colors!

Weird Bug Lady said...

Wow, those are fantastic! I love the first one. I've always wanted to try making things with glass but haven't gotten around to taking a class.