Thursday, August 27, 2009

Nude Woman # 1

It took me nearly a week, but I finally got around to this painting. It is based on a study I did last year. I'm really quite happy with it. I sketched out the image over a week ago and it pretty much just sat around on my desk until this week. I ordered a bunch of new colors from Dick Blick that came in this week, so I got to open fresh new tubes of acrylic and paint with brand new brushes. So much fun.

This painting is now up in the shop if you'd like to see more pictures of it.

Materials: 8 x 10 x 1 inch canvas panel, acrylic paint

Wednesday, August 19, 2009


By the time I finished the above painting yesterday, my fingers were absolutely cramped to the bone. The pain was worth it, though, as I'm very happy with the result. I think it's quiet and contemplative, and I'm pleased with how well the colors went together.

To see more pictures, or to purchase, please go to the shop! Update: SOLD!

Materials: 11 x 14 inch canvas, acrylic paint

Tuesday, August 18, 2009


I am SO HAPPY with the above painting. I apologize for not having a good, straight-on picture, but the weather has been icky so I haven't had any decent natural light. Plus, I'm too lazy to get my tripod out and work with my indoor lighting.

The above painting was painted on a gallery-wrapped canvas. I had this canvas for a while, but I was too afraid to use it because it cost more than the typical canvas. I've always had a strange issue with not wanting to "mess up" nice canvases and papers. I've been known to buy cute notebooks and never write in them, for fear of soiling their beauty. I am glad that I took a chance on this canvas, though, because I just love the outcome. I think she's so chic and put together, and I'm really very proud of the subtlety in the facial shadows and highlights.

Although I may eventually add this to the shop, I want to enjoy it for myself for now.

Sunday, August 16, 2009


The above painting was actually painted last weekend, but I'm just now getting around to posting about it and listing it in the shop. I wanted to do something really bold, and I definitely think I accomplished that.

Usually when I start a painting, I make a very rough under drawing. This time, I marked off all of my shadows and all of the highlights to hopefully make it a bit easier for me to figure out where I was going with my color scheme. I think that in some ways it made it easier, but in other ways, I got a bit more confused. (Not entirely sure how!) I'm not sure if I'll draw it out so much to begin with again, even though I am happy with how it turned out.

For more pictures, please check out my listing in the shop. Update: SOLD!

Materials: 9 x 12 gesso art board, acrylic paints