Friday, November 28, 2008

Cascading Flowers


Since I have a long weekend (thank you, Thanksgiving!) I decided to be proactive and do some more painting. I've had lots of fun ideas swirling about my head, and this one actually came upon me by accident. I painted the blue square background a few days ago, but wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I had decided to paint some flowers on another canvas, and absentmindedly laid them down on top of the blue background. I took one look at the way the real flowers broke through the stark blue and was inspired to paint them on this canvas instead. I'm actually really happy with it. I used a lot of very watery, light washes to get the petals just right, building them up in many layers. I think the decision to leave the bare outer layer of wood untouched was a good one.

You can buy this little gem (and see more pictures) in the shop.

Materials: Acrylics, wood panel (9 1/2 inches by 9 1/2 inches by 3/8 inch)

0 comments: