Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Weekend Sketch


I did some long overdue sketching this past weekend. Usually when I draw, I make an under drawing first in light pencil, then I go over that with my colored pencils. This time, however, I went straight for the marrow. No under sketch, just straight-on drawing directly with a colored pencil. I wasn't really going for too much detail; I wanted just enough to capture the essence of my subject. Not being able to rely on an eraser was quite freeing as I just let myself go and began drawing without thinking. I did several sketches this way, but the above is my favorite. I hope you like it, too.

Materials: 9 x 12 charcoal paper, colored pencil

2 comments:

Heather Klusendorf Stewart said...

I can feel the freedom and like that it's not perfect. I like this a lot. It has a style.

Heather Klusendorf Stewart said...

It's that long arm that gets me. It's eerie.